Saturday, October 23, 2010

"TECHNIQUE" BLOG HOP

Today I am taking part, with 4 fellow Stampin' Up! demonstrators, in a "Technique" blog hop (just a "mini blog hop this time!).  Each of us is showcasing a different technique to use in your stamping and/or scrapbooking, so hopefully you'll get some new ideas!

You may have come from the gorgeous Nikki Sadler's blog, but if not, don't worry!  You can start here, and do a 'loop' by clicking on the link at the end of each participant's post, until you've covered all 5 stops.

The technique I have chosen to focus on today is PAPER PIECING.  This technique is ideal for using with line image (rather than solid) stamps.  It's an alternative to colouring in an image, and is a cute way to highlight a portion of a stamped image, to co-ordinate with patterned papers used on your project.

It's very easy to do.  Simply stamp your desired image onto cardstock, and stamp it again on patterned paper.  (Alternatively, you could stamp it onto other coloured card - either plain, or that you've stamped with a design.)  Cut the paper image out, and stick it over the top of the base image; voila - instant colouring!


For my first card, I have stamped several of one of the "Fifth Avenue Floral" flowers on a Whisper White panel.  I've chosen to highlight just one of the flowers in red (I do love red, and polka dots - did you know?!), using "Play Date" Designer Series Paper.  This is a very simple design, but the paper piecing makes the flower really "pop", don't you agree?


Stamps: Fifth Avenue Floral, Bella Toile, Upsy Daisy
Card: Whisper White, Real Red, Crumb Cake, Basic Black
DSP: Play Date Designer Series Paper
Ink: Crumb Cake stampin' pad, Jet Black Staz-On inkpad, Real Red and Basic Black markers
Other: Sponge dauber, Basic Black brads (from Neutrals assortment), Stamp-a-ma-jig, Mat Pack & paper-piercing tool (for placement of brads)




Next up is a Christmas card, using Jolly Holiday Designer Series Paper.  I stamped the Christmas tree (from the ever-versatile "Fun & Fast Notes" set) on Very Vanilla card.  I stamped it again on the Old Olive spotty paper, and cut around just the foliage before adhering it to my card.  I coloured the trunk, pot and star with markers.

Stamps: Fun & Fast Notes, Contempo Christmas, En Francais
Card: Very Vanilla, Old Olive, Cherry Cobbler
DSP: Jolly Holiday Designer Series Paper
Ink: Cherry Cobbler stampin' pad and marker, Jet Black Staz-On inkpad, Chocolate Chip marker, Daffodil Delight marker
Other: Wide Oval punch, Old Olive 5/8" grosgrain ribbon, Scallop Edge punch, mini glue dot



Lastly, I'd like to share with you a birthday card I made with a young boy in mind.  Again I've used "Play Date" Designer Series Paper - this time, the striped "boyish" paper.  I love that each pack of Stampin' Up!'s Designer Series Paper contains such a variety of designs, that complement one another so well.  The nose of the rocket is paper-pieced with Real Red cardstock on which I had stamped a star.  Pretty cute little rocket, don't you think?

Stamps: Seeing Stars, Pun Fun, Party Hearty
Card: Chocolate Chip, Tempting Turquoise (textured), Real Red, Crumb Cake
DSP: Play Date Designer Series Paper
Ink: Versamark inkpad, Tempting Turquoise, Crumb Cake, Chocolate Chip, So Saffron and Real Red stampin' pads
Other: Top Note die, sponge daubers, Buttons #5 Sizzlits die, Scallop Circle punch, 3/4" circle punch, 5/16" silver brad, Crystal Effects



Next stop on today's blog hop is the blog of the super-creative Amy Buchanan.  This girl blows me away with her ideas!


Here's a list of all of us taking part today:



Judy May
http://www.judymay.typepad.com/

Nikki Sadler
http://www.inkyart.com.au/

Christine Blain
http://www.christineblain.blogspot.com/

Amy Buchanan
http://www.fashioninggreatimpressions.com/

Tina Gillespie
http://scissorspapercard.blogspot.com/


Have fun checking out everyone's creations, and please leave us comments so we know you've been to 'visit'!

19 comments:

  1. Lovely examples of paper piecing ... I think the Christmas tree one is going to have to be cased.

    ReplyDelete
  2. STUNNING, I love all of them, the rocket looks so funky. The flower from fifth avenue is beautiful.
    Rach:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are all fabulous christine, love the cute rocket too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the polka dots christine, I think the flower one will go into my favourites

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look great Christine - love your examples!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love each of these cards Christine, they all look terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this technique Chris! Great examples. The xmas tree is an idea that will def be cased! (:

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't pick a favourite - I love them all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love paper piecing, thanks Christine.
    Rene from OZ xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love them all Christine but the chrissy one is fav, must add it to the case list ;o)
    Yeah Hubby updated our PC and I can comment again!! not that I ever stopped stalking you lol
    Thanks for the inspiration!!!
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are all great but the Christmas one is my favourite, I love the DSP.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cute Christine. The rocket one is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice paper piercing Christine, love your cards.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous cards Christine! Can you send me some of your stamping mojo, mine seems to have gone walkabout! lol

    ReplyDelete
  15. Christine, what wonderful projects to showcase paper piecing. I especially LOVE your Fifth Avenue Floral. Thank you so much for taking the time to make and share these fabulous projects!
    Hugs
    Jaydee

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fantastic ideas Christine! I LOVE the rocket card the best...why did I never think of that?? Awesome cards as per usual love! Love Bec

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great technique & perfect examples Christine! TFS
    Love the red & polkadots too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great technique Christine! I really love the Christmas tree one :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this technique and you always make everything you create with wow and pizzazz..(not pear that is) Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful work

    ReplyDelete