Wednesday, August 4, 2010

TWO CHALLENGES IN ONE

I'm having a quiet "at home" day today, feeling a bit sorry for myself because I'm not well.  However, I'm not one to lie on the couch, or watch tv - I get restless.  So, into my craft room I go ... determined to make amends for the god-awful card (thank you to those of you who left kind comments - you are very sweet!) I entered in this week's Just Add Ink challenge.  Just to re-cap, the challenge this week is to make a card for a male, using these colours:




I LOVE colour challenges, but I must admit this one's not much of a challenge for me - I'd happily use these colours on all of my cards!  (Oh, except for the odd break to make something in red.)

Soooo, I decided to combine the Just Add Ink challenge with a sketch challenge.  Those two words send shivers down my spine - I struggle with sketch challenges!  They're effective, though, 'cos they challenge me (I do realise this is the idea), and I often do come up with a concept and run with it.

I'm taking part in the sketch challenge over at the Helping Hudson blog.  We're aiming to raise a LOT of money for Hudson, so please visit the blog, and join in on the fun.  There are FANTASTIC prizes on offer for the winners of each challenge.  We have a colour challenge, a sketch challenge and a technique challenge running each week for 3 weeks - check them out here. You can take part in each challenge for a $2 donation; or, if you donate $10 you're able to take part in all 9 challenges over the 3 weeks.  Small change, that collectively will make a big difference to this little boy's life!  One of this week's challenges is to make a project using this sketch:




and ..... drumroll, please ....... this is what I came up with (just in time for my brother-in-law's birthday, as it so happens):




Stamps: Happy, Happy Birthday Jumbo Stampin' Around Wheel; On Your Birthday
Card: Kraft, Baja Breeze textured, Chocolate Chip
Ink: Sahara Sand and Chocolate Chip stampin' pads
Other: Star Punch,Large Star Punch, Perfect Polka Dots embossing folder, Top Note Die, Large Oval Punch, Scallop Oval Punch, paper snips, Mat Pack and paper piercing tool, dimensionals, sponge daubers



I 'roughed up' the edges of the Scallop Oval, using my paper snips, to make it look a little less 'girly'.  I've used debossed Kraft stars, and embossed Chocolate Chip stars, for a bit of contrast.

I'm happy to report, I like this one! 

15 comments:

  1. Wow it the card looks fantastic, I love what you have done with the top note. I hope you are feeling better soon.
    Rach:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you feel better soon, but is nice you get to stay home and craft :o)

    Great card, I find sketch challenges 'challenging' too. You've done a great job with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there Christine! I wish I could create something as nice as this when I'm sick! Its a lovely card and I love how you split the top note like that and wheeled it! Clever little chicken you are!

    Karen

    PS - thanks for always leaving me such lovely little comments! I always smile when I read them:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Christine love the stars and how you have split the Top Note into three for the background element.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous...see even being unwell doesnt stop your talented work, another lovely card Christine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you feel better soon! Nothing like a little card making to make you feel on top of the world! Love your card... I may have to CASE it for my brother in law's b'day this weekend! Thanks for yr comment on my blog!!
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great card and a great take on the sketch challenge too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this! I wouldn't have thought to put stars with the top note - looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic card, Christine!! Love the stars with the top note!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent Christine. Love how you have made the top note into three panels. Great idea

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous card...love it almost as much as the other one!!! Hope you are staying warm and feeling much better now xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is a great card, and I just love the stars too,

    ReplyDelete
  13. Christine, this card is perfect. I love how you brought the two challenges together. I bet your BIL loved it - who wouldn't!
    Hope you are feeling much better
    hugs
    jaydee

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this card Christine, I really love all your cards! Get well wishes xx

    Bec

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love, love, love this card Christine. Can't believe it came from my sketch - it's just so far from anything I would have come up with. Thanks for the inspiration. Love those stars!

    ReplyDelete