Monday, May 25, 2009

EARTHY, CUTESY AND GLARY (the latter being a classic example of the imperfection of handmade cards)..

I have three cards to share today, as you may have deduced from the rather rambling title of my post.

 My first card was inspired by a card on page 17 of the Idea Book & Catalogue.  I've gone for a more 'earthy' look, with subtle colours, mainly because I just love using kraft card.  The stamp set I've used is a hostess set, which is one that cannot be bought; you can earn it for free by placing an order, or holding a party - contact me if you'd like to know more (conditions do apply)!

Everything on this card is pretty self-explanatory.  Yet again I have used the fantabulous Build-A-Brad, this time to highlight the centre of a flower.  I've pierced around the scallop circle for a little added interest, because the subtle colours on this card are a bit subdued (bordering on insipid???) and I thought it needed 'something'!

Kraft organic grace

Stamps: Organic Grace, Friends 24-7

Card: Kraft, Perfect Plum, Mellow Moss

Ink: Mellow Moss, Perfect Plum, Pale Plum

Other: Build-A-Brad, circle punches (1/2", 1 1/4", 1 3/8", scallop circle), kraft and mellow moss taffeta ribbon, sponge daubers, edge distresser, mini glue dots



Okay, now onto something completely different.  This is the "cutesy" card alluded to in the title, and my personal favourite of the cards I'm showing you today.  I have used the Owl Together Now stamp set, which contains 14 stamps (all for $52.95, which is great value - I have paid over $30 for one stamp in the past, before I discovered Stampin' Up!).  In this set, there are several cute owls, and co-ordinating accessories to allow you to create lots of different images.  I have used Good Morning Sunshine designer series papers, and a bit of embossing and ribbon to finish it off.  Hope it brings a smile to your face!

Blue,yellow owl card

Stamps: Owl Together Now

Card: Whisper White, Summer Sun, Kiwi Kiss, Pacific Point

DSP: Good Morning Sunshine

Ink: Kiwi Kiss, Whisper White craft

Other: White embossing powder, deckled rectangle nestabilities, Pacific Point striped 5/8" grosgrain ribbon, dimensionals, mini glue dots



Now for the 'glary', and not-so-terrific card of mine!  I have been stamping for YEARS, and like to think that I can make nicely finished cards most of the time, but thought I'd share this one that proves all card-makers have 'off' days!  This card was one of the (only 2) cards I made at our 5-hour stamping/chatting/laughing session at Claire's the other night.  No matter what I tried with this one, everything went on 'wonky' (for those in the northern hemisphere, this means crooked!).  I love the new Haiku designer series papers, and was determined to make a card with them on Friday.  Whilst I'm not real happy with this, I'll show you anyway!  I've let the papers do most of the talking; the only stamping is the sentiment, and the flowers stamped on the Tangerine Tango card.  The vertical strip of DSP is crooked, the Build-A-Brads are not lined up straight, and even the sentiment on the tab is crooked (despite me using the stamp-a-ma-jig, obviously all the while talking and not concentrating on the task at hand)!!

Haiku, tangerine friend

Stamps: Fifth Avenue Floral, Basic Phrases

Card: Tangerine Tango, Whisper White, So Saffron, Old Olive

DSP: Haiku

Ink: Versamark, Old Olive

Other: Build-A-Brad, 1/2" circle punch, Whisper White 1/4" grosgrain ribbon, Round Tab punch, sponge dauber

2 comments:

  1. You were thinking of me, when you said bordering on insipid, weren't you, after our critique at Claire's? But you're in the clear the purple really lifts it. I am now going to have to reach for the catalogue because I don't remember seeing the owl set.Cute as!! I am sure the photo you have taken makes the Haiku card look more "wonky" than in real life, I don't recall noticing the wonkiness at all on friday, but perhaps that is because I was too busy talking and stuffing chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOl, you crack me up Kerry! Even when you're wonky you are wonderful Christine (even if you do insist on using orange, lol). My fave is the owl card. Sooooo cute and definitely bought a smile to my face.

    ReplyDelete